Jeffco Schools: Great Teachers, Great Schools, Great Communities
Community and business leaders are joining together with Jeffco Schools, to ask voters to approve two questions that will be on the November ballot. A strong, successful school district benefits the entire community by providing a well educated work force, attracting good businesses and protecting our property values.
Issue 3A will generate $39 million for operational costs which will help Jeffco Schools:
- Recruit and retain the best teachers
- Maintain classroom size
- Allow Jeffco to continue to provide students with the instruction and skills necessary for success in college and the workplace
- Ensure students have access to instrumental music, teacher librarians, electives, and Outdoor Lab as well as benefit from instructional coaching for teachers
- Restore two school days for students
Over the past three years Jeffco Schools has cut its budget by $63 million. Without 3A, the district will face another $45 million in budget cuts for the 2013-2014 school year. We cannot depend on the state for increased funding for schools. We know funds generated by 3A will stay in Jeffco and benefit our students.
Issue 3B will provide funds for much needed repairs and maintenance on Jeffco School’s buildings and facilities. These repairs are critical to ensure students are safe, warm and dry. They include:
- Upgrade safety and environmental systems, including fire protection, wiring, heat/air conditioning and plumbing
- Major roof replacement on 16 buildings
- Sidewalk and pavement replacement
- Window and door replacement
- Water heater, fire pump and roof drain replacement
Jeffco Schools is nationally recognized as one of the best large school districts in the country. We have a tradition of excellence in the classroom, on the athletic field, in the arts, and most important, in the development of good citizens. Issues 3A and 3B will cost Jeffco homeowners $1.23 per month per $100,000 of home value. For the average homeowner in Jefferson County that’s $3.06 per month or a dime a day. This is a great value for Jeffco Schools and Jeffco citizens!